There’s a little song by a band called Cinderella that’s called “Don’t Know What You’ve Got Till It’s Gone.” (Stop judging me for my encyclopedic knowledge of hair metal! Every rose has its thorn.) And when it comes to restaurants, my husband and I didn’t know how good we had it in Madison until we moved to Raleigh.
It’s not that Raleigh doesn’t have good restaurants–we’ve found a few. But it doesn’t seem like there are as many, or at least not as many with creative vegetarian offerings. And I find myself missing a lot of my favorites from Wisconsin. I’ve been trying to recreate some of these dishes myself, and I’ve had some hits and some misses. Despite this whole food blogging thing, I’m not very good at recreating foods I’ve tasted elsewhere–even when my recreation tastes good, it always misses the mark slightly when it comes to duplicating the original flavors.
This recipe is one of those recreations–it’s a combination of a potato and walnut puree pizza from one restaurant and a truffle oil and mushroom pizza from another restaurant. Rather than using traditional crust, I made this pizza using Stonefire Whole Grain Naan. I like making pizzas on naan when I don’t have the time to mess with dough–the key is to make sure any veggies you add to your pizza are cooked beforehand because you need to heat your naan at a lower temperature than you’d cook a pizza made with raw dough.
Like everything else I try to re-create, this Wild Mushroom & Potato Pizza isn’t exactly like the original potato and mushroom pizzas I modeled it after. But it’s pretty good in its own right–good enough that it’s become one of our favorites. (We’ve made it three times already!)
A rustic wild mushroom and potato pizza made on Stonefire Whole Grain Naan and drizzled with truffle oil.
- 1-2 piece package of Whole Grain Naan (like Stonefire)
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato, sliced paper-thin (use a mandolin slicer)
- 2 oz. wild mushrooms
- cooking spray
- 3/4 c. walnuts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz. Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. white truffle oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring about an inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add potato slices, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 4 minutes, or until just softened. Remove from pan immediately and rinse with cold water. Once potatoes are cool, squeeze out any excess liquid and set aside.
- Add walnuts to food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and pulse until well-combined.
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray (I use olive oil in a mister) and heat at medium. Add mushrooms and sauté about 7-8 minutes, or until just beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread walnut mixture onto naan (it will be crumbly, but pressing it onto the naan will help it stick). Add 1/2 of the grated cheese, a layer of potato slices, the remaining cheese, and the mushrooms. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until naan is crispy on edges and cheese has melted. Drizzle each pizza with 1/2 tsp. of truffle oil just before serving.